“BTN believes no one should travel this journey alone.”
Connecting to a support network can be an active approach to empowering yourself on your cancer journey. Research demonstrates that patients and families whose lives have been impacted by a primary brain tumor may have many unmet psychosocial needs including: information about cognitive changes, fatigue, and clinical trials; understanding shifts in family dynamics, coping with the emotional impact of a diagnosis, as well as access to support from others who have been through a similar situation. BTN believes no one should travel this journey alone. Support groups can offer a positive outlet to address feelings of isolation and aloneness, as well as other common caregiver and family needs.
If you do not have a support group available in your local community, ask your healthcare team if an Oncology Social Worker is available on staff to meet with you. Oncology Social Workers are dedicated to supporting your psychosocial needs and overall wellbeing. These healthcare professionals can also make appropriate community referrals to help you throughout treatment and cancer survivorship.
As part of our multidisciplinary team, BTN also has an Oncology Social Worker on staff who is available to offer you and your family guidance and support. Additionally, a few national organizations offer telephone support from trained Psychosocial Oncology professionals:
- CancerCare – Visit cancercare.org or call 1-800-813-HOPE (4673).
- Cancer Support Community – Visit cancersupportcommunity.com or call 1-888-793-9355.
- American Psychosocial Oncology Society – Visit apos-society.org or call 1-866-276-7443 to find counseling available in your area.
BTN has relationships with numerous brain tumor support groups throughout the nation including:
- Brain Together for a Cure in Rochester, MN
- Cancer Matters Brain Tumor Support Group at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL
- Gathering for Brain Tumor Survivors at Memorial Sloan-Kettering
- MD Anderson BEST: Brain Tumor Education & Support Together in Houston, TX
- Monmouth & Ocean County Brain Tumor Support Group in NJ
- Southeastern Brain Tumor Foundation Support Group in Atlanta, GA
- UCSF’s San Francisco Brain Tumor Support Group
- Lenox Hill Hospital Brain Tumor Support Group in New York, NY
Please contact our navigators for assistance in contacting one of these support groups or to locate a support group near you. If you live in Northeast Florida or Southeastern Georgia, learn more about NE FL Brain Tumor Support Group, BTN’s face to face support in its home community.